Sunday, June 27, 2010

Golden Rule


I just realized that today is my brother Mike's 28th birthday. That's so crazy to me because my oldest brother John passed away at 28. I never realized how young that actually is, until I thought about how young I actually feel at 26. I guess when someone is older than you are, you naturally view them as old until you approach that age. Just crazy life thoughts.
I just had an unbelievable conversation with Jack that really aroused some good insights. We talked about trying to live so that everyone likes you. I compared that with treating everyone the way you would like to be treated. This is easier said than done in this environment for several reasons; a lot of these guys take kindness and generosity as weakness, and when you try to be liked by everyone, you are bound to run into some who just don't. We talked about certain inmates, who have absolutely zero respect for anyone around them and will take advantage of you in a second.
I deal with pretty much every single person in the entire tier, and Jack was asking how I put up with certain guys. My first month here, I would say I wouldn't put up with some inmates, but now I've realized that I can only control myself, my actions, and how I treat people. I can't control someone else's manners or disrespect, but I can be an example to them. I told him, I've found it easier to deal with these guys because when I do it unto the least of my brethren, I am doing it unto Jesus.
I've always tried to live my life so that everyone around me liked me. Then I would get upset when I would find out someone didn't. I realize we can't care what people, haters think about us. All we can do is control how we act and if someone doesn't like you, who cares? Treat people the way you would like to be treated and then move on. We shouldn't CARE how as long as we are acting in character reflecting Jesus. Not everyone even liked Him and His life was perfect. I said it before and I will say it again, Nay-sayers will always Nay. What do we know about living? I guess when we do it our way, it leads to death and destruction. We crucified the only One without sin. How backwards is that?
~~~For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life.~~~

2 comments:

  1. I am writing this through tears. I check out all of my followers to make sure that they are the kind of people I want reading my blog and I was blown away by your families story. I will be praying for you and your family and really enjoyed the message. I will also be praying for the Kap family. God has a purpose for your life. I showed your website to my nine year old son. He is That Guy. I told him your story. As he watched he got tears in his eyes. Hey, if Paul (from the Bible) can reach people from prison, so can you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - thank you so much for reading and commenting. We're touched that you found the story so powerful and shared it with your son. Our goal is to share Matt's story with as many people as possible (especially young adults!).

    Keep reading! It's so neat to see God's hand in all of this. :)

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete