Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tested


Just one of those days. It was dreary outside, but cool, which helped the atmosphere on the tier. I went to morning rec and did soccer drills by myself on the basketball pavement. I usually only get about ten minutes in before someone comes over to talk about soccer. Today a new guy from Honduras came over to talk to me. He called me the soccer pro. He asked, “Why don’t you play with everyone at night rec?” “ Rumor has it that you’re no good and that’s why you don’t play.” I was taken back and shocked at his brutal honesty. A part of me, actually a majority of me, wanted to play everyone right then and there to prove myself. But that was just my pride creeping its way back in. I finished the conversation with him cordially, and we talked about teams we like. When I came back inside, one of my fellow tier mates told me some guys in the yard were talking about me, because I was doing soccer footwork. He said they were saying, “He thinks he’s too good and that’s why he doesn’t play with everyone.” (I swear this is the devil tempting and trying me, but the devil is a liar). I actually just laughed because when things are going well, and my thoughts are positive, turmoil tries to ruin my peace. The “old me” would have to prove everyone wrong, but the” new me” now realizes that I don’t have to prove myself to anyone. I can’t care what people say or think. The only one I need to impress through my actions is Jesus Christ. I NOW understand the importance of conducting myself honorably-- no matter what comes my way-- so that those who may speak evil about me, regardless of what they may say or think, can only observe my good works. It doesn’t matter who people say I am , it’s who God says I am. I am who I am by the grace of God.( I Peter 2:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment