Saturday, August 21, 2010

PURPOSEFUL MACARONI


It cooled off tremendously on the tier, which brings people back to life as you can see by the activity and chatter all around. As I write, an argument is brewing about a macaroni found in the sink. The inmate who cleans the bathroom does an outstanding job and really goes off when someone disrespects the bathroom.
In an environment, where 88 men have to share a bathroom, heads are bound to bump because of what level of clean and sanitary is expected. Now I’m not talking simply about the macaroni that was found in the sink, but much grosser things that I will not talk about. I, too, believe it is disgusting and shows a lack of respect for other people when you don’t take care of the common area—especially a bathroom. Prison or not, this is our house and you should respect your environment. I often wonder if it is too late to change one’s habits? I don’t really think so, I think change is possible, but it takes effort and won’t happen over night. It is important that we learn to adapt to our environment, otherwise we will become blind to our affect on others around us. My dad would always say, “Adapt and overcome regardless of the circumstances and challenges.” To adapt doesn’t mean to concede to the “if I can’t beat them, join them mentality. Rather adaptability is the ability to change, which comes from being humbled. Adapting is not surrendering to your circumstances, it’s facing them.
I am thankful I have learned to adapt and overcome. And all of these thoughts come from a macaroni left in the sink. I guess what I am saying is, “We shouldn’t become what our environment is telling us to become. It all starts with self-respect which leads to humility, and humility leads to learning and when we learn , we adapt and overcome. So instead of surrendering and adopting the characteristics of your circumstances, adapt and overcome.
~~~THANKFUL TO BE FINDING PURPOSE THROUGH THE MACARONI IN THE SINK~~~




http://www.themattmaherstory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment