Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Idle time


It was storming all day and apparently a tornado was supposed to touch down in the area. I don't know if it did though because I heard that information earlier on the radio. I also heard what a tornadoes favorite game is?? Twister. Ha. That made me chuckle too.

It's been a slow day for me and I actually described it as an "idle day" to Jay, which made me look up the actual definition of "idle." The word "idle" has multiple definitions and they are all very similar, but the one I like the best contradicted my day. Idle is to move lazily and without purpose.

After I looked up the word "idle," I realized that my day wasn't "idle," but my environment was. You see, it's the same old atmosphere since I arrived in prison, but it's not the same old me. From looking around constantly, I realize that activity doesn't necessarily mean productivity or purpose; and though the prison never sleeps and my tier is always restless; there is nothing of purpose being done by the majority.

I've long changed my stinking thinking and have renewed my mind, so I am always analyzing my surroundings. "Idle time" and" idle talk" has become an inmate's clock, moving lazily and without purpose. I am witnessing rehabilitation at its finest and it can all be summed up by that one word-" idle." "Idle words" and" idle time" will be accounted for eventually: "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment." "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned". (Matthew 12:36-37)

Likewise, "Laziness casts one into a deep sleep, and an idle person will suffer hunger." (Proverbs 19:15).


This slow stormy day has in fact taught me a lot; one, I cannot let my environment define my day or my thinking; and two, never play twister with a tornado.

~God is good today, yesterday, and always~

No comments:

Post a Comment