Friday, July 23, 2010

Beginning to End



There has been a huge turnover in the prison this past month--especially in my tier. I see a lot of new faces. Either inmates going home, or going to a different unit because of status. Since I have arrived in January, there have been over 40 new faces on my tier. Presently, there are only 20 out of 38 guys who have been in the unit since my beginning here. I can tell from the 6 months I have been here, that the end of a thing is better than the beginning. Most people leave happier and in some you can see a change. Now which direction that change is depends on the person’s willingness to change. I’ve witnessed people become more bitter and negative as the days pass, and without any attempt to change in sight, the end of this thing we call prison is not gonna be better than the beginning. When you are just starting something out, whether it be a business project, a fitness program, or yes even a prison sentence, you would hope that finishing it would be a good feeling; a sense of accomplishment, a change from the beginning. You never wanna be where you were at when you started, and the progression from the onset to the end should be easily noted. The way I am in my freshman year in prison is not the way I wanna be in my senior year here. There should be change in the positive direction and it should be obvious. I heard an interesting explanation about being miserable with your circumstances and it made perfect sense. Coming into an environment like this, the beginning, would initially make you miserable, no doubt in anybody’s mind, but after several months or years shouldn’t that miserable condition wear off/ almost automatically making the end better than the beginning. Unfortunately this isn’t the case because I watch inmates weekly become more resentful and bitter with their situations. It’s only natural to become excited during the end of this thing, but what attitude are you taking with you at the end?
Inmates act as if this is lost time and they will never get it back. That’s exactly right-- when else will someone have a chance to completely reevaluate their lives, to re-prioritize how they were living in the real world? You won’t get this time back, but you won’t get any time back, so why not take advantage of it. I’m convinced that if you come in one way and leave the same way, or worse, SHAME ON YOU!
I truly believe the past is totally forgiven and gone, the present is supplied with power, and the future is bright with hope, how could I be anything but completely happy?
“The end of a thing is better than the beginning” Ecc.7:8

Have you ever waited on something to happen in your life? Please feel free to comment below.

2 comments:

  1. I have subscribed to your blog through my Google Reader and have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. I am impressed by much in your posts but most of all by your ability to surrender to these circumstances while also striving to benefit from God's leading during this time. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Melissa for your support. I love your blog as well. I check for updates in blogger but I haven't yet figured out Google Reader yet. Hopefully I will soon!!!

    ReplyDelete