Saturday, July 17, 2010

DADDY'S DAY



Ryan and Fila visited me this morning, and it was great to see them and catch up. The visit hall was not as packed as I thought it would be, being that it’s Father’s Day. It was sad to see some of the fathers (inmates or not) after the visit was terminated.
Once we are told to leave the visit hall, we are placed in movement control where we are stripped searched. It is in this room where you see a lot of the inmates break down and shed a tear. Today, more than ever, being a father in prison has to be a tough day. What’s even sadder than the father’s in the visiting hall, are the fathers on the tier who have no one visiting them. My heart breaks for them, regardless of their family situations, because I know deep down, they are hurting being in a place like this away from their kids/family; more than ever on a day where being a father is celebrated, many fathers feel like failures.
I have no idea the exact feelings because I am not a father, but I can imagine that many feel helpless and lacking because of their confinement. Heck, those are feelings of every inmate father or not.
Also, I cannot help but to wonder what my own father feels like on a day like today? I know he would have never fathomed a father’s day without one of his sons, but that happened in June, 2006 when my oldest brother died. And now that I think of it, my brother John never even got to experience his first Father’s Day since he died when his daughter Alivia was only four months.
To think that he would have to go through another Father’s Day with one son in the grave and one in prison is mind boggling. Should he feel like a failure? I say absolutely not and anyone who knows even one ounce of my father would say NO too, but there are many who would consider someone a failure whose one child passed and another was in prison.
My response to them is that my father’s example in raising his children was such a success, it helped me in MY FAILURE. His success of being steadfast for the Lord has been the best most consistent example of how to respond when falling short. I honestly believe that it is only because of my father’s faith and pure integrity that I see all my blessings from the Lord. I’m thankful daily for the way I was raised and wouldn’t have it any other way.
My father put into action and personified the way God loves all of His children—unconditionally. I cannot express properly in words my utmost gratitude I have for my daddy—who Did All Deeds Deliberately Yoked to his children and God.
HAPPY DADDY’S DAY POPS!
I cannot close my thoughts without saying that my heart goes out to the family of Hort Kap on this day, as they are probably missing their father and friend. May I extend a heartfelt apology to my victim’s family, as well as every other victim’s family affected by crime and prisoners.
“The righteous man walks in his integrity; His children are blessed after him.

To catch up on blogs go to http://www.themattmaherstory.com. He has been writing since January.

No comments:

Post a Comment