Friday, July 9, 2010

Dont want to be Addicted to the Afflicted


Just got done a beautiful visit with my parents. They filled me in on a lot of stuff at home, and I filled them in on a lot of stuff in here. I was relieved to hear that my Aunt Dee is doing alright after having a heart attack. Makes you really think about how fast life can change, and on top of that, she is one of the fittest women I know in her age range. I bet you that brought out a lot of family and friends from the woodwork. How come when something bad happens, people all show up? But when things are normal, you never see any of those people. I remember before my mother’s mom passed away, hardly any of the family wanted to come and see her. I saw this first-hand because my grandparents live behind my parent’s house. Once she passed away on January 6, 2009, everyone came by. What is it in tragedy that brings out all the company you may have wanted before something went wrong? And how is it we suddenly have the time to come over when we were too busy before? I know life can be busy, but if you didn’t care or show concern for someone when life was normal, going well, or even status quo, why would we turn up suddenly when things are bad? I saw this when my brother John died. He was lonely and no one ever bothered to come visit him.
My Aunt Dee is a godly woman, after she was stable from her heart attack, (thank the Lord), she asked my parents to tell me, “She’s thinking of me.” Are you kidding me? This woman just had a major heart attack and she was thinking of me. That’s true care, pure concern. She is like that always—possesses a kind, compassionate heart. Sometimes it’s too late to show your care/concern. Don’t let it get to that, don’t let tragedy be the impetus to bring out your true care and emotions. I know there are a numerous amount of people who really care and that come out of nowhere in bad times to express their sympathy, and trust me, their condolences are heartfelt and sincere. Now I’m no saint and I never claimed to always be around for my friends and family, but I never want to be addicted to the afflicted--meaning just showing up to be a part of someone’s pain or suffering.
I love each and every one of my family members and friends with all that I am, and I know I don’t see a lot of them because of their busyness, and obviously because I am in prison. But don’t let tragedy strike before you show someone your true care and appreciation for them. If you’re not happy for them when things are good, don’t show up when things are bad.

1 comment: