Saturday, July 3, 2010

Why do bad things happen in life?

Monday thus far. Started off with the 5:30 am jumpstart on the day and I am into Job in “Bible in One Year.” I’m also halfway through Malcolm Gladwell’s “Blink” already very interesting book based on decisions.

As I was reading through Job, one passage really struck me for several reasons. One, being I’m in prison, and prison equates to adversity. Two, the tattoo on my arm that says “Always Thankful” with two angels: one crying and one praising. And the third reason is the most obvious, our society only accepts the good from God and shuns the afflictions.

In Job 2:10, Job responds to his wife’s words, “Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Curse God and die!” But Job said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speak. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?” In all this, Job did not sin with his lips.

So many times in life we take Job’s wife’s stance. We believe that we should only be thankful for the good in our life, and when tragedy strikes, our thankful and faithful attitude goes right out the window. We then begin to gripe and ask God why? Nobody said life was gonna be easy or that we should be able to figure out why bad things happen. But, it is the person with true faith whose integrity stands strong, trusting in God in prosperity and in adversity.

I’ve made my bed and I’ve been laying in it. I accept this adversity they call prison and I am completely thankful for it. I take full responsibility for what I’ve done and have learned to be content in all circumstances, free or imprisoned, because I am assured that God will accomplish His good out of temporary difficulties. Job never knew the true reason he was being tested. God allowed Satan to do so to prove his point. Yet Job was steadfast in his faith, he held fast to his integrity.

How will you answer the Job’s wives of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment