Saturday, July 31, 2010

I Look Forward To....


The start of another week, Monday, a day I thought I would never look forward to. But now in prison, I absolutely adore Monday’s and getting back into a healthy routine after a long, slow weekend. In prison, inmates look forward to the start of another week and a notch on the “sentence” belt. Vice versa, on the outside, people look ahead to the weekends.
In both cases, people want time to pass. For one reason or another, we are always wanting the time to go quickly to get to something in the future. Now rightfully so, an inmate would like time to pass because it brings them closer to their release date. Every Monday counts as another week down. On the outside, we do what we have to do, Monday through Thursday, so we can enjoy our weekends, mostly time off from work. But what are we doing on those days that we want to pass quickly, just to get to a day or event that will also soon pass quickly?
In other words, you will never find time in the present, if you are always looking forward to something in the future. If you want time, you must make it. In prison, I’ve learned to love Mondays, not because it’s another week started toward my release date, but because it’s another chance to better myself starting from anew.
We are always measuring ourselves up to something. I’m using weeks to measure my growth. I wanna be better than I was yesterday and prepared for tomorrow. My brother would always ask me, “What did you do today toward your goals?” When I was in the real world, I wanted Monday through Thursday to fly, just to get to my weekend; only to live out another fast paced weekend and then back to Monday.
Good purposeful work consists of whatever the body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever the body is not obliged to do. What do you look forward to every week?
~~~THANKFUL FOR MY MONDAY’S~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment