Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Matt's says Goodbye to a Friend




It’s 7 am sharp and I just got back from morning mess excited, yet I am feeling nervous for another inmate named Nafi, who is being released today after serving 7 ½ years in prison. I have become close to this guy over the past few months, because Jay and I reached out to him in an attempt to give him some hope-- in a system with no hope for its inmates. The Department of Corrections (DOC) doesn’t have any programs that would help inmates, who qualify, to retrieve work, housing, etc. upon release until they get on their feet. Nafi told us that he has no family, and when he leaves he has no job, and nowhere to go. This is a common story among released prisoners. With all of that being known, we decided to implement our plan for “Self-imposed Assistance” to Nafi. We made the necessary contacts to secure Nafi a job on the outside, and made arrangements for temporary housing. Nafi will begin work on Monday. I’m only slightly nervous because Nafi is nervous. And you know what? I don’t blame him. I said some extra prayers for this man this morning and I know his life is in God’s hands. I did not write all of this down to get a pat on my back nor to feel better about myself. I have joy in my heart for Nafi and I want to see him succeed. I wrote this down to show you a piece of this system that goes unseen. A story about an inmate who served almost twenty five percent of his life in prison and has nothing to show for it. Granted prison is punishment and I understand that, but how is a person supposed to get up from under affliction and not re-offend when they are given zero instruction on how to integrate into society? This type of situation is going on all across the country and society expects convicted felons to get their lives straight, but then turn their back on them when they need support the most. Of course there are many people, who when released, make it. But those are the ones with outside support from family. I’m talking about those inmates who have none of that and all they have for themselves upon release is time served. These days, it is hard enough. I have friends who can’t find a job because of the economy, and they have college degrees which are valued in the real world.
I can’t imagine walking out these doors with no family support, no job, and no housing. But here are your walking papers. And that’s rehabilitation—sad system, sad commentary.
So it’s now 7:45 am and I assume Nafi is getting ready to leave Mid State. Instead of leaving with just time served, he is leaving with a chance, and a new opportunity. Just trying to be systematically productive in an unproductive system. I pray Nafi makes it.
To learn more about Matt's story go to http://www.themattmaherstory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment