Friday, July 30, 2010

Fireworks


My first 4th of July in prison and I haven’t heard one person say “Happy 4th of July.” Holidays in prison are very dull and are no different from any other day, very sad, but it is what you make of it. I had a nice and relaxing morning and my fireworks came in the form of a baby named Roman John. I had a beautiful visit with Anne, Ant, and my nephew Roman. He turns one at the end of this month. Seeing his face light up was better than any exciting or spectacular fireworks display. I am content with seeing the miracle of life on Independence Day, even if I’m locked up. That hour and a half with them, I was as free as a bird. God bless Creation and Happy Independence Day to those locked up. You don’t have to be free to celebrate freedom. Free in spirit and mind.
“Who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry? The Lord gives freedom to the prisoner.” Psalm 146:7
It’s 8:15, just finished church and we are about to have our Last Sunday Supper with Sydney, our tier cook, who is going home this week after 17 years in prison. I pray nothing but the best for this man. Sydney sang beautiful tonight in church, freedom in its purest form.

No comments:

Post a Comment