Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Bittersweet"



Late night on the tier. I was up at 5:00 am this morning working out and doing my morning devotionals. After breakfast, we decided to clean the entire tier. Now this is supposed to be tier sanitation’s job every morning, but some of these guys literally sweep for two seconds, just redistributing the dirt and then mopping over the dirty floor. It’s pretty nasty, but I keep my own area clean and OCD neat. The guys laugh at me because I’m constantly lining my shoes up perfectly under my bed.
Here’s a piece of prison mentality: So Jay and I decided to start from the back of the tier and work our way up, moving beds and lockers to sweep and mop thoroughly. We were sweeping and mopping two beds at a time, until the entire tier was cleaned. By the end, I was soaking wet in sweat from sweeping so hard. Some of the other inmates joined in and helped, but a majority just sat there and watched. Some didn’t even get up out of bed, as we moved their beds with them in it. I couldn’t and never will understand the laziness in some people. We live on this tier for no lie—16 to 17 hours a day, and some never leave, yet not many care to tidy their area and would rather live in filth. And some were even looking at us in disgust because we were blocking the walkway when we moved the lockers, and they couldn’t walk in a straight line to the TV or bathroom. They could have easily maneuvered around them, but didn’t relish the intrusion. Unbelievable!
I watched the World Cup the rest of the day and then had a 3 v 3 basketball tournament at night rec. It was a very dysfunctional tournament because it was reffed by other inmates. It was complete chaos! The entire game was little old white me running point guard, and the intensity increased as there was four seconds left in a57-56 game, with my team having possession of the ball. Well, I threw the ball up for the game winner and nailed it. I’m not sure what felt better, hitting the buzzer beater tonight for the win in prison, or hitting the buzzer beater in high school in the playoffs against Sterling. Prison or high school? I honestly don’t know because the game obviously meant more in high school, but the “hating” trash talking among the other inmates is outrageous, making this one bitter sweet. People honestly went nuts and the other team almost started a riot. Complete chaos ruled the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment