Monday, July 19, 2010

Not what I wanted--Just what I needed


A lot of time in prison is spent talking about what we want in life and what we think we need in life. Most of these wants and needs are based on what will make us happy. As I listen to several inmates talk about "stacking bread" (bread is money) and driving nice cars, it is even more evident that these needs and wants are based on selfish desires.
Sometimes we are confused about the difference between an actual "need" versus a "want." A need is "a necessity or the state of lacking something that is required" as opposed to a want which is to "greatly desire or to wish for something." We want nice cars and big house, but we don't need them. We want the "filet mignon" of foods, but that's not what is needed to survive.
In prison, people don't hesitate to ask you for anything they want, not need, but pure wants. There is absolutely no shame in walking by someone who is eating a candy bar and asking for it. Not just for a piece, but the whole thing. It's like big grown children. This is how we are in life sometimes. We ask for riches and are fired from work. We ask for patience and are tested in traffic. We are too busy trying to figure out why we were not given what we asked for, to realize that what has transpired is we got exactly what we needed.
I received a beautiful letter the other day that really encouraged me. In the letter, was a quote that sums up the difference between our wants and needs in life. I would like to pass the quote along: "Sometimes struggles are what we need in life. If we went through life without obstacles, it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as we are. I asked for STRENGTH and was given difficulties to make me strong. I asked for WISDOM and was given problems to solve. I asked for COURAGE and I was given obstacles to overcome. I asked for LOVE and I was given people to help. I received nothing I wanted and everything I needed."
~~~I wanted visibility and popularity because of soccer, a selfish ambition, and was given affliction and a drunk driving platform. (humility) Not exactly what I wanted, but everything I needed.~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment