Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Going through trying times?

No work today at Mid State Universiety, so I did some mass letter writing and I finished the book “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell. It was a very thought- provoking book, and I learned a lot about conscious and unconscious decision making. Now I’m into Malcolm Gladwell’s “The Tipping Point.” Nothing besides rec and AA today. In AA tonight, the guest speaker gave us his testimony and it was telling. I applaud anyone who can overcome an addiction and I have nothing but respect for those who do so and share their experience. The only point tonight in his testimony that I disagree with is “the power” that he said he relied on. However he conquered his addiction, he did it, but he stated that “whatever power” works for you and allows you to stay positive and conquer, use that power, whether it’s a flagpole or whatever religion allows you to prevail from within. He then went on to say that he used the power from within him to overcome alcohol. The victory is that he did it, but I call that power he used, first name “WILL”, last name “POWER.” Willpower is the strength to carry out ONE’s decisions, wishes, or plans. The decision is made by self and when we rely on self we are destined to fail. I’m not saying that anyone who uses willpower to conquer their demons will eventually relapse because willpower can take you a long way, but when adversity strikes again, relying on self will always let us down.
A flag pole is not going to sustain men nor is a statue or a prophet. A power from within will eventually burn out. This is my understanding, and I firmly believe that when we cast our burdens on the Lord, He is the only one that WILL sustain us. (Psalm 55:22)
~~~~~~~The Lord is the One Constant in life other than time~~~~~~~~~
No power other than God’s power will hold us; not self-power and definitely not this guy named “WILL POWER.”

No comments:

Post a Comment