Thursday, September 30, 2010

Excellent



I started off this morning with a valuable life lesson and it happened in morning rec. You see, after reading so many books about staying positive, I took one of the main themes on attitude, and applied it to my daily routine. I know that one of the ways to remain positive is to always talk and act positive. Like when somebody asks us "How we are doing?" We usually give a non-emotional response like "Ok", or "Fine," or "Good." Well, my new response has been excellent. "How are things Matt?" "Excellent!" This usually sets the tone of the encounter, and today's response prompted a short, but truth-setting dialogue.

I was relaxing on one of the benches in the yard, where if I'm not working out, I am usually praying or collecting my thoughts. A fellow inmate named Rico approached me and asked, "How you doing Matt?" I responded with enthusiasm, "Excellent!" He then said, "There is nothing excellent about this place," as he shook his head. I countered, "It's a state of mind my friend...It's all perspective. The sun is shining on this beautiful day, and God is good, so yes, I'm excellent." Rico smiled, as if forgetting his previous perspective, and said, "You know what? You're absolutely right. God Bless you," and then walked away.

A simple energetic positive response to "How are you," allowed me to explain why I was excellent and then my attitude affected Rico. It's all perspective sometimes and even though this is prison, it doesn't have to be smothering and robotic. You can be effective anywhere with some positive adjustments and it's contagious. Never allow a circumstance, situation, or PLACE dictate your effectiveness. A one word response, "EXCELLENT," can break the mold. When your circumstances aren't the ordinary, make them extraordinary; it's a choice.


Exhausted today, time to read, "Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers, "Mark" in the Bible, and "Purpose Driven Life" again.

~At Peace~

No comments:

Post a Comment