Monday, September 27, 2010

Hometown Hate




I don't find it hard to write my thoughts or beliefs because they come with such conviction, but I've learned that it's hard for people to believe what you say and easier for them to believe how you act and what they see. I heard an interesting quote that went like this, "Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words." I love that idea, but unfortunately, in life, there will always be those who judge us no matter what we do. Even harder is the image a convicted felon will have with him for the rest of his life, especially going home to their respected communities.

For me, I know there are many who only knew me from High School and being "that guy." FACT: I was popular because of my sport's accomplishments. FACT:. I was also confident because of my older brother's, their reputations, and my athletic ability. FACT: But I was also immature.Yet, there will always be those who judge me from my immature teen years. But here is the catch, those same people, who may never of had a conversation with me, were angry when I would accomplish. And now, as a young adult, many of the same ones were glad when I caused tragedy. I could never understand how somebody could be happy about someone else's misery.

I know it's a struggle for an inmate to face their hometowns when released because I hear about those worries daily. They believe that nobody is going to believe they changed and will always hold that over their heads. Well, here is another fact, people will always judge, and we cannot control that. It is my encouragement, as a prisoner to other prisoners, that we do not lose heart or conviction upon release. Keep your head up and remember that you are not defined by your past.

I remember a certain individual who when He went back to his hometown, many did not receive Him. He was a great man in the eyes of all who really knew Him. But, those who just saw his background, family, and upbringing refused to accept Him for who He really was and what He stood for. His hometown was fickle towards Him, but that did not stop Him from pressing forward in faith.

This man went by the name of Jesus and His hometown was Nazareth (Matthew 13:54-58). "So they were offended by Him. But Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.'"

Because of their familiarity with Jesus, the people failed to recognize Him for who He was, their eyes were blinded by disbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment