Thursday, September 23, 2010

Got Substance?




It's the last day of August, and I feel as if I just wrote 8/1 as my journal date. I guess time really does fly when you're giving it your all. The source of my enjoyment is my substance. That's my new favorite word in this place, "substance," that which is solid and practical in character, quality, importance, and integrity.

What I am reading, what I am watching, what I talk about, what I think about. The substance of them ALL!


A quick look around my tier and I see many people asleep, some reading varied magazines: "Sporting News," " Maxim," and the newspaper. Nothing is wrong with a magazine or newspaper, but do they have substance and are they challenging us mentally? What thoughts do they arouse? Many read magazines all day to pass time, but nothing with substance.

Six are watching television and the program of choice, a sitcom. Nothing is wrong with TV, but what are we watching and what are we thinking about when we watch such programs? Do they have substance, quality, or importance?

Some are just talking, the content of the conversations often lacks integrity. How much time is wasted outside of substance? What are we allowing into our eyes, ear, and minds? Does the content of our daily interactions build character or corruption?

In prison, I agree that most activities are done to pass time, but why not pass time with that which is solid and practical in "truth"? What we allow into us (reading, watching, talking, etc) eventually comes out of us.

~~ "The integrity of the upright will guide them, But the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them" (Proverbs 11:3).~~

No comments:

Post a Comment