Saturday, September 11, 2010

Recital or Lifestyle?


I often get asked what Proverbs 3:5 is because it is tattooed on my arm. I usually just recite it off the top of my dome like the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem, and the Lord’s prayer-- not always thinking about the substance and truths behind the words. I think so many times, we take the verses as just that---words. We use them when convenient and rehearsed, missing the power behind the words. I’m guilty myself of this and I can’t even count how many times I have recited my “life verse” without contemplating the amazing solid and practical truths in such a verse. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3: 5-6
Breaking down the words “Trust in the Lord.” When we trust in something, like I trust my father, I have total and complete confidence in his integrity, ability, and good character because I know him and have a relationship with him. Is that the same level of trust I am placing in the Lord? Hard? I agree. But I believe that’s the difference between living the actual essence of a verse, rather than just using the words in time of need. We need to place complete trust in God, have confidence in Him, and rely on Him. It should be no different than the trust we have in people (visible to the eye), who will always let us down compared to God.
“Lean not on your own understanding,” which means to not rely on ourselves. Probably one of the hardest things to do in life is to not use our logic and earthly knowledge. Essentially, letting go of what we know and letting God take the helm.
“With all your heart” means placing our entire being, the gate to our souls, our hearts, at the Lord’s feet. Using all of our heart releases any doubt, concern, or anxiety, knowing our trust will be upheld.
“In all your ways acknowledge Him: not some ways or activities, but ALL ways, admitting the existence, reality, and truth of God. I think in everything we do in life, we recognize how it will affect us personally. That type of deference should be placed in God, recognizing His power in everything we do from the mundane to the most important of tasks
“And he will direct your paths.” Our ways will be established. This latter, is the result of the former. When we trust fully, deny self, and recognize God---He shall direct our paths.” “He shall open doors,” and “He will put us in the right direction.”
I think the difference is in our level of belief. The difference between a recital or a lifestyle.
Proverbs 3: 5-6 tattooed on my body at age 18, applied at age 25.
“So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11

No comments:

Post a Comment