Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jerusalem's Wall



I have to clean up what I messed up, an impossible deed by the world’s standards.--and mine. But nothing is impossible by the Lord’s standards. By Him, I am forgiven; by the world I am forbidden. I look around at this prison, but not just this prison, every prison across the world, and I see an environment full of people who made bad decisions. Some big and some small, but all performed an error resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness. I often wonder about the shock and shame that I caused my family and friends; and even more, the shock and pain I caused to another household. So I’m trying to amend an unfixable mistake. The world says “give up,” the Lord says “give it to me.” The world says “cease,” the Lord gives His peace.

Why listen to the mockers? Why heed their voices...when you can, with the same ear, listen to the voice of God? (p. 107 Facing Your Giants, Lucado)

In 444 BC, a man named Nehemiah went back into Jerusalem to rebuild the walls for the city’s physical protection, but mainly to establish God’s purpose there. Nehemiah’s opponents were grieved at his efforts. His critics laughed and told him to stop, accusing him of false motives. But Nehemiah refused to listen to them. He said to them, “I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you?” (Nehemiah 6:3) Nehemiah would not get sidetracked; his enemies wanted to weaken him, but he asked the Lord to strengthen him. In 443 BC, “So the wall was finished...” (Neh 6:15). God’s purpose was accomplished and His name glorified.

My mistake, Jerusalem’s wall. I have to clean up what I messed up, an impossible deed by the world’s standards...but why should the work cease?

No comments:

Post a Comment