Saturday, September 4, 2010

Whats the point?


I began a letter this morning at 8:30 am and I didn't finish it until 11:30 am because a debate/conversation broke out about life and purpose. I found this very funny because I just wrote about purpose and the joy it brings to life yesterday. My fellow inmate believes that it is impossible to know your exact purpose in life, and that God is the only one who knows this. We went back and forth in a friendly manner sharing our belief and ideas. It was a very thought-provoking conversation. I wish I was able to record it, or recap it in its entirety, but three hours is a lot of dialogue. I have to admit, it's difficult to explain your beliefs to someone who believes there is no purpose to this life. Sometimes you can only live by example and hope those around see something different about you. I really like this inmate because of his honesty and debate tactics, but I also hurt for him because I see that he truly believes life has no purpose. He believes that basically, you are born, you live, then you die; nothing before, nothing during, nothing after. I can't even imagine going through an experience like this with a mentality like that. I shared my writing from yesterday with this inmate, and he was shocked to see its content. I think that penetrated him a little, and I'm certainly gonna keep on him. It's inmates like that, who really motivate me to live as Christ-like as possible, in hopes that they would be curious about what makes me tick. This is something that is very, very, difficult in an environment like this. But "Greater is He that is in me, then He that is in the world." Late night tonight, so just gonna read, and then sleep.
~~~PURPOSE DRIVEN~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment