Thursday, October 28, 2010

Boiling Points


This place never ceases to amaze me, and today could not have been scripted. It's very late now and lights are off, but this is the only chance I have gotten to write my thoughts. I swear I was waiting for a camera to come out and tell me I was on the game show, "Boiling Points." The show is an MTV series where real life scenarios are used and the person is pushed to their absolute limits, either succeeding in enduring or succumbing to the pressure by acting out of character. The hidden cameras then come out and the contestant is relieved to know that his circumstances were scripted to get a rise out of him.

But the cameras never came and my limits were continually pushed. Usually one onslaught of these one-sided conversations is enough to make your head spin. We call these prison "headlocks." Today, not even recreation or mess movement was able to release the "headlock," and as soon as I returned to the tier to attempt to read or write, the same individuals would make their way to the table only to continue cutting off my air supply off. My bed area did not even deter these encroachments.

And I must endure, and I must practice prison patience, but I am wondering if there is more to these interferences than meets the eye. Am I that interesting or open that anyone can feel free to approach me and engage in mostly pointless rants and raves? I welcome all conversations with substance and enjoy being a light, but when the interruptions have nothing to do with anything except appeasing the imposer's selfishness, I am at a loss for words and the "headlocks" are cutting my "light" off.

Do I continue to be patient with them or explain straight-out that I am busy? Is that rude if I am in the middle of reading or writing and purpose to not want the constant interruptions? I mean I am always waiting for an opportunity to direct the conversation towards God and substance, but that usually happens without any response from the interrupter.

This occurs daily and I'm starting to think there is more to these "headlocks." Or am I going crazy with my thoughts? I know I must persevere and continue to be a light regardless of my surroundings, but where are the hidden cameras when you need them?

Exhausted, it's bedtime....

No comments:

Post a Comment