Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mr. know it all


It seems those who know-- don't talk and, conversely, those who talk -- don't know. I'm talking about those who really, really talk a lot. They come off like "they know it all!" I have had inmates come up to me and tell me how to properly lift weights. Just the other day, an inmate came over to tell me where I should play on the soccer field. Now, I don't know everything, and I never claimed that I do, but physical fitness and soccer has been my life since I can remember.

I mean, I have seen people try to coach Jay regarding weight lifting also, not understanding that we both came from Division I colleges, where the trainers are top-notch. On top of that, we both played at the professional level in our sports. What can I possibly learn from a jailhouse weightlifter? It's unbelievable, but it's a piece of prison mentality that gets a lot of prisoners into trouble, and once in the hole, they have the tendency to use their mouths to dig even deeper.

Case in point: Just the other day, an inmate tried to tell Jayson how to build a house. He thought Jay was nothing, but an NBA basketball player. Little did this "Know It All" inmate know, but Jayson has been building houses since he was a kid with his father's construction company. The guy's advice sounded good to me, but what do I know about building houses? -- (that's why I kept my mouth shut).

It was mind boggling to say the least. The guy was way off as he proceeded to tell us price ranges--and we were staring at a sheet of paper with current prices listed. He truly believed every word that came out of his mouth.
I'm pretty sure that if I do not know something, then I'm not gonna open my mouth and try to explain it. What goes in our mouth hits our stomach and is digested, gone...but what comes out of our mouths lasts forever and cannot be taken back.

The moral of this story: Choose your words wisely because a fool speaks of things he does not know, and out of the mouth speaks the heart...."Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man." Matthew 15:17.

No comments:

Post a Comment