Monday, October 25, 2010

Chameleons


You can fake a lot of things in life and you can be a lot of things in prison, but you can't fool God. On the streets, you can mislead those around you because you may only be around friends/family for limited time. In person, you can pretend to be what you're not, but this persona eventually wears off. You see, constant interaction with the same individuals reveals your true character.

In here, we can be chameleons for only so long, blending in with our environment, until our true colors are revealed. You can't hide them forever and though we may fool our peers, we aren't fooling God. I've hidden so many character flaws from my friends and family for so long and I honestly believed I got away with them. We forget that we may fake it around the world and hide our defects, but we can never hide from God. We may think we are blending in and able to conceal our sin, but all things will be revealed, "For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light" (Luke 8:17).

It's crazy when I think back on my chameleon ways only to realize now that I was naked, open, and exposed to the One who mattered most. And faking it may be a defense for many, but to an all-knowing, all-seeing God, we are defenseless, "and there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account" (Hebrews 4:13).

Now confined and surrounded by chameleons daily, I find that verse all the more fitting. Though prison khakis clothe and cover me, "all things are naked and open" to the eyes of God. So just like "time tells all" in this environment, God knows all in every environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment