Friday, October 22, 2010

Just ask?


I am guilty of this lesson myself, but in a different way. My prison observation provoked this message and I am thankful to see things like parables of the Bible these days. Anyway, you know it's bad when you see an individual approaching you and recognize right away that they are coming to ASK for something. In this environment, it takes zero effort to ask another inmate for a free handout, with no intentions in paying them back, or even showing appreciation.

Now, not everyone is like this but trust me, plenty are nothing but takers. Certain inmates have this reputation and will actually talk to you about nothing only to break the ice and ask you for something at the end.

Some we call "professional jailers" because their approach cannot be duplicated or imitated. It is sad, but I honestly shy away from these inmates because I already know that when they are coming near that they are going to ask for something, otherwise they do not even speak a word to you. Many may believe this to be unchristian-like, (and I struggle with this myself), but in an environment where giving an inch turns into a mile, the line has to be drawn somewhere. It hurts me sometimes to say no, but I know it is for the best, not only for me, but I believe there is a lesson to learn in not always receiving what we ask for. Indeed this situation is amplified in prison and one who has never been here will not understand fully, but similarly I have been guilty of this type of ASKING myself. I wonder if my parents sometimes felt this way. Did my asking far outweigh my giving to them?

On top of that, I wonder if God shies away from me when He knows I am approaching His throne of grace in prayer with the wrong intentions . How many times have I only asked, asked, and asked some more, in hope that I receive my requests. I know God doesn't withdraw from us and He is always there, but it is important to understand that He doesn't always give us what we ASK for because it's for our own good. And this is another habit I must break, going to our Heavenly Father with no requests at all and simply just praise and thanksgiving.

I know that it would be different in here if the "professional jailers" just showed some appreciation to what they are given, and at least, their approach wouldn't seem as bad. But that's not the point, and the continual ASKING is the lesson to learn. Regardless if the ASKING doesn't stop from certain inmates, I know that they have taught me, inadvertently, to change my prayer habits with God and my one-sided requests to my family. "Yet you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because we ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." James 4:3

~Do not ASK amiss or out of order wishes; My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches~ (Philippians 4:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment