Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Self rules


Only God can save us from ourselves. Every single day, I see or hear of someone who has done something to affect their time here in prison. Two individuals, one who I talk with often in the yard named ###, and another guy, have both erased their release dates by allowing their egos and self to contradict reason.

#### told me in the yard about 2 weeks ago, that he no longer plays soccer because he doesn't want to get into an unnecessary argument or fight because it would jeopardize his release date. He had only a few months left after several years incarcerated. The other inmate, named ####, had a release date in early December. He could practically smell the outside of these walls; but both of them are now in "lock up" because of an altercation on their unit over an obstacle in life that causes every individual on earth to fall and stumble-- and that obstacle is SELF.

The--SELF---"me" is the biggest hurdle in our own lives halting our progress and peace. Personally, I was my own obstacle most of my life and it was never any circumstance or environment that held me back, but the simple fact that SELF would get in the way. I cannot think back and blame a single thing in my life on someone else, because ultimately my response to those things done, (hurtful or not), was from SELF. We are our biggest obstacle.

In prison, a majority blame their environment prior to incarceration as the reason they are incarcerated, but once in here, that belief of SELF continues to cause one to stumble in their progress. Now in prison, everyone has the same environment, and these walls are not a reason for me to blame a future fall in my life. SELF can never understand everything and God is the only one who knows and goes above and beyond our understanding.


I can imagine those two guys are now in lock up beating themselves up over their decision to please SELF over reason and jeopardize their "freedom" because of ego. I'm not sure if either one of them knows or believes in Jesus, but regardless of beliefs, I bet they both would admit that it definitely was not worth it. SELF destruction is an understatement in life. It should be SELF instruction which leads to His construction.

~~~Put together and saved by Jesus~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment