Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Devil's Game


I thought it was just me and that I was going crazy until Jay confirmed my thoughts from yesterday. This scenario has happened so often that I began to believe it was being done on purpose and that I indeed was a contestant on the show "Boiling Points."

If you were watching from behind closed doors, you would see that every time I would sit to read the Bible or write, the same couple of inmates would scurry over and proceed to tell me nothing of substance. When Jay and I would be working on something with purpose, these same few, like programmed robots, would completely throw our progress off.

So earlier today, as I'm sitting there trying to endure through the worst prison "headlock" you can get, my mind is choking-- but my demeanor is open. I'm struggling to find the bluntness to confront the interrupters; instead I just engaged and exchanged advice to no avail, only to have lost time of purpose, progress, and productivity. And then Jay reinforced my thoughts and confirmed what my heart was thinking. He said, "Did you ever notice that when we are doing something with purpose and God, that the same people come over to interrupt?" And I thought I was going crazy and was indeed struggling between being extremely patient and compassionate over being honest and blunt. We both then agreed that they probably have no idea what they are interrupting, but the devil certainly does. It's the devil's version of "Boiling Points," and it's no game.

We always assume that believers are the only ones living on purpose, as it turns out, the devil lives on purpose too, "seeking to and fro whom he may devour." (I Peter 5:8)

I have decided that practicing prison patience is a dime a dozen in here, and when working to advance the Kingdom that sincere honesty and frankness will now be put into effect.

Trust me, the interruptions are usually selfish and non-substance bearing anyway. I know I'm gonna have to choose my stances wisely, but His purpose and progress heavily outweighs these adversarial "headlocks". What an environment! "Boiling Points" the show has nothing on this place! "Resist him, steadfast in the faith...." (I Peter 5:9).

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, this happens so prevalently in the Church. It is the most difficult thing ever to "do something with purpose," only to have the same people want to talk about "nothing of substance." There is an element of "sameness" in the prison as well as in the church, and it is very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But he giveth more grace, wherefore he saith, God resists the proud but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourself therefore to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you." James 4:5,6

    I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss the posting. Is eveything alright?

    ReplyDelete