Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Stepping stone or stumbling block?


Regardless of my relationship with various inmates, I am always delighted when I hear they are going home soon. Most inmates do not want to entertain that thought or hear that conversation, especially if their date is nowhere in sight. I think for most of these guys going home, they want affirmation from their peers that everything is gonna be alright and it is with those intentions that they are anxious to tell others about their pending release.

Most recently, I was privileged to share my faith with an inmate, who is leaving at the end of this month. After spending close to 13 years in and out of prison, he expressed his desire to do things right this time around. He told me, "I'm not coming back to this life bro, but I'm scared and last time I had this feeling, I recommitted."

It was from that feeling of uncertainty that I was able to share my faith to him. We talked for a while about the obstacles he is going to face upon his release, and his concern showed on his face. I did my best to encourage him about starting anew and taking each day as it comes, no more and no less. But the unknown outside these walls seemed to conquer his previous joy.

I am happy for this inmate and I know that affirmation can sometimes be the best motivation, but I know that when we are already seeing the future through eyes of fear of defeat, we can fall backwards before we even begin. Shoot, the only job where you start at the top is digging a hole. I know there are hardships ahead and stumbling blocks await us around every corner, but there are stepping stones as well from this experience.

After talking with this inmate, I realized that we can never assume things are gonna be one way because of our past experiences; and ultimately, they will be what we make of them, especially, if we use them to better ourselves.

Still though, as an inmate, I can see how there is a different level of unknown thrown into our equation-- because of the label we carry, and our past mistakes-- and this can be frightening for the majority.

But as I think back in my life, nothing is what I originally thought. I now am aware that some of my stepping stones turned out to be stumbling blocks; and some of my stumbling blocks turned out to be stepping stones. We can't figure things out on our own, and that is why the difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how we use them.

Nothing makes sense to me these days except my faith, but I'm still human and an inmate......and I still stress, but I am committed to placing all my burdens upon the Lord. I am content with my circumstances and not worried about my future because I know that God works all things (even stumbling blocks) for the good, to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment